Sunday, March 13, 2011

Health Comes First

Hello to my followers-

Wow! What a couple of weeks it has been.

Two weeks ago, I felt fantastic and training was going better than ever. I was extremely excited about how I was feeling during training sessions, was eating well, recovering well and overall, anticipating a fun trip to Lake Havasu for the first race of 2011. The start to my racing season has now been pushed back a bit. About a week ago I went into the ER with incredible fatigue and memory loss, and a couple of hospital visits later they found abnormalities on an MRI in the parietal lobe of my brain. The doctors believe that I caught a virus that caused post infectious inflammation on my nerves, muscles and a spot in my brain.

This was a lot to take in and I experienced an array of emotions. Initially, what crossed my mind was when I could get back to training again, or if I would be able to race this upcoming weekend. How incredibly naive of me to be thinking of that, I know! But over the course of a few days in the hospital, I was able to evaluate just how important my health is above everything. Triathlon will always be here, so for now I am taking care of myself and easing back into things. Like I have always said, I want to be doing this sport forever, so however long it takes to get healthy is how long it will have to be.

Stay healthy and be happy!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment