Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Quick update: OFF TO OZ!

Camp #1 is nearly over, and it doesn't surprise me that the time flew by here in California. It has been a solid block of work thanks to my Dsquad teammates, Darren, our physio Lisa, and the nearly perfect weather Mother Nature decided to give us for the past seven weeks. No complaints!

I get on the big bird to Australia in five days for camp #2, which will convene on the Gold Coast. I went to Australia back in 2009 for the Junior World Championships (was that seriously 6 years ago?!), but had to rush back for school, so I am pretty eager to get back to a place that I remember being quite cool!

We did a local event this past weekend called the Tritonman- a draft legal race put on by the UCSD Triathlon team. It was great to get the cobwebs out, and go through the processes of racing again after  several months away. It was an opportunity to execute the race checklist, and a chance to see what things still need some work, and what things were done well.
On a mission after a little break in the penalty box. Oops!
The skill of reflecting on the race as a whole allows us to move forward having learned from the experience, whether it was complete crap or a brilliant day. In the midst of great races, there are still things that aren't done so well, and on really rough days there are still some positives somewhere (hopefully!) if you can remove the emotion and analyze the race objectively. With the feedback from the race, I am really looking forward to kicking things off at Mooloolaba on March 14- an opportunity to do a better job in some areas and continue building momentum in others. A big thanks to the UCSD Triathlon team and coach, Kim McCormack, for letting us be a part of the fun on Fiesta Island.

I won't be back in the USA until the end of May, so I am happy to break that long stint up with a visit from my Mom, who flies in to California tonight. I think she is happy to escape the polar East Coast to get some sunshine and beach time, and she might be happy to see me too ;)

Keep smiling!

Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment