Friday, August 29, 2014

Roller coaster riding and reflection

As we all know, life is a roller coaster. Cliche or not, it perfectly describes this journey.

You sit down, get buckled in, and have no idea what will happen next. But that is the best part- throwing yourself into the unknown, wholeheartedly. 

As the ride starts heading up toward the sky, you know that a drop could be around the corner, but you hope that if or when it arrives, it doesn't last long and isn't too scary. You crest the top and want to hold on to that moment forever...the views are amazing up there; it's exhilarating, yet peaceful. You look down and see just how far you've traveled to reach that point.

Then you start heading down, you fear the speed and the lack of control. After the fall, when you think that it is time to go up again, you are jolted left and right, and left again. You feel nauseous, anxious, crazy and completely out of sorts. But eventually, the momentum from the downfall and all the detours in every which direction drive you back up again. 

A roller coaster is what it is because of all of these parts. Where would the fun be if you traveled in a straight line forward on ground level? Without the turns and falls, there wouldn't be the incredible momentum to drive the coaster back up to the highs. 





I think a lot of athletes can relate to this metaphor in their careers. The ones who are on top now have overcome detours, highs, lows, twists and turns on their tracks to success. We all travel on different roller coasters, varying trajectories unique to each athlete.

I had a great Skype conversation with my coach earlier this week about the year so far. I am guilty of not stepping back and truly reflecting on how far I have come, and what I have achieved. I think that a lot of people can relate to this; we are often the  "go-getter," type, eager to get the most out of ourselves while lacking the patience and precision necessary to do that in the right way. Something I have learned is that it is okay, and also extremely important, to step back and just be happy for a few minutes, and think "wow, look what I have done! Look where I was last year! This is sweet !" Reflection is a key component of being an athlete; learning from our successes and our failures, and choosing to move forward with more knowledge because of it.

I am in the middle of detour at the moment, but one that came after some fantastic high roller coaster riding. In seeking those highs, and chasing lifetime best shape, I overcooked myself a bit and my body needed some time to rest and recharge. My coaster decided to go down at a less than ideal time, since it is the middle of the race season, but I am choosing to use this twisty section as a time to learn more about myself as an athlete, make some changes, and reflect on all the highs of 2014. 

I am incredibly lucky to have the support of my coach Darren Smith, the D squad, Chris, my family, USA Triathlon & OTF Multisport throughout all of this. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather ride a roller coaster with :)

Onward and upward.



No comments:

Post a Comment