Sunday, June 27, 2010

Coteau du Lac- Top 10!

This weekend I traveled to Montreal, Canada to compete in a Continental Cup. I actually raced here on the same course last year, when I was still technically a junior. I did this because I wanted to get experience and ease my transition from the sprint distance draft legal format to the olympic distance racing as a U23/elite. My race from last year was FAR different from this year, which is a good thing! Last year I had a so so swim, got dropped by 2 bike packs, and was lapped by the lead runners on the run, finishing close to last with a time of 2:17. This year, I just missed the front pack of swimmers, was in a very strong chase pack, and ran 2 minutes faster than last year on a day when my legs decided to stay sleeping. My finish time was just over 2:10, seven minutes faster than last year on a nearly identical course, leaving me in 9th place for the day.

Overall, I am very pleased with my performance. As a young athlete, I have found that the most important thing to value is improvement and being patient. If I can keep making leaps from year to year, I am doing something right! Working with my new coach from D3 Multisport, Mike Ricci, since the beginning of 2010 has been great for me, as both an athlete and a person. I have pushed myself harder than ever before, experienced new types of training, and spent time getting to know one of the best coaches in the world, who has in turn helped me get to know myself better as an athlete. Together, we are figuring out what works best for me as an athlete and making huge fitness gains in all three disciplines. I am very excited for what is to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment