Saturday, November 24, 2012

My best race yet

After my last road race, I woke up with pink eye and strep throat. Even still, my sisters and I decided to do a race together on Thanksgiving day in Madison, CT. We decided to run together, dressed in similar outfits, and make it a fun tradition that we can carry on through the years. Since I wasn't racing per say, I figured it would be okay for me to run while fighting off illness. Plus, how many chances do I get to run a race with all my sisters? It was happening, sore throat, pink eyes and all.

We went with a hawaiian theme and wore leis and hula skirts over our running clothes. It ended up being a pretty nice morning, and when the race started at 10 a.m., it was in the 50s. There were tons of people racing and it was a really fun atmosphere. We ran most of the way together, but Hannah and I ended up finishing a minute or two before Scarlet and Emily. The results show Scarlet finishing with me, Emily finishing a minute later, and Hannah finishing 20 minutes after that....Not really sure what happened there.

Regardless, I am really proud of all my sisters, especially the twins! They play soccer and swim, but don't run regularly like I do, and I know it was tough for them. We had tons of fun and everyone was cheering for the "hula girls!"

Before the races. Me on the left, then Hannah, Scarlet and Emily.

This race was really special to me. On a day when we give thanks for all we have in our life, I got to spend time doing something I love (running) with the people I love most. My mom was visiting her Mom at the hospital earlier that morning, but made it to the finish line to see us. We didn't tell her what we were wearing, and she was really surprised when she realized the crazy hula people running towards her were her daughters. It was a day I will never forget!


Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment